Skip To Main Content


Question: Do I have to wait until I get accepted into the program before applying for financial aid?

Answer: No, You may complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) at any time, as a matter of fact we encourage you to go on-line at and get started. It is the student’s responsibility to complete the FAFSA.


Question: When do I hear from the financial aid office?

Answer:  After we review the results of your FAFSA you may be contacted to resolve any issues or conflicting information. Once you have been accepted into the program and there are no unresolved issues with your FAFSA, we will either complete Title IV information in your orientation (health occupation programs) or call and set you up for a Financial Aid Workshop and then we will mail a Financial Aid Offer to you.


Question: I don’t think I will qualify for Pell but can I still apply for student loans?

Answer: Yes, if you file a FAFSA!  Your income doesn’t not count against eligibility to receive a student loans.  It may be subsidized and unsubsidized or you may only qualify for unsubsidized.  


Question: I know that I am not Pell eligible because of my income, and my employer will pay for everything anyway. Why do I still have to complete the FAFSA?

Answer: You only have to if your employer or agency requires that you file and if you qualify, they will pay the balance or if you wish to apply for federal student loans. You will however, have to fill out a Funding Determination Form (located on the Adult Education home page.).


Question: I am not Pell eligible and my employer is paying for everything but I still need money to help out with living expenses, childcare, etc. Can I apply for student loans and keep that money for myself?

Answer: Yes, if your employers only requires that you apply for Pell in order for them to pay the difference.  Every case is different so you will need to talk to your employer first. However, you must file a FAFSA to be eligible for Federal Student Loans.


Question: An outside agency such as WIOA or BVR is going to pay for my schooling. Why do I have to complete the FAFSA form?

Answer: Because if you are Pell eligible, most agencies require that Pell be applied to your tuition and fees first, and then the agency will pay all or part of your balance. The financial aid office has to let the agency know if you are eligible or not, and we need your FAFSA results in order to determine this.


Question: I am currently attending another school. Can my aid just transfer to your school?

Answer: No, any current loans would be canceled when you leave the other school, and you will have to re-apply for new loans. You may not be able to get full new loan amounts if there is an overlapping loan period between schools. If you have Pell Grant, you will be awarded based on the percentage you have already used at the other school. For example, your award at the other school was $4050 and you used 50% ($2025). Your award here is $3700. You have 50% remaining eligibility so the maximum amount for this school would be $1850 ($3700 X 50%).


Question: I have already completed a FAFSA for this award year. Do I complete another one if I want to attend your school?

Answer: NO, you only apply one time during an award year. All you need to do is add our school code (012967) to your FAFSA.


Question: I am under the age of 24, living on my own and self-supporting. Why do I have to provide my parents' information?

AnswerDependency status is determined by the questions you answer in Step Three on the FAFSA form. Click on the link the check out the ruling on Dependency Status.

  • Parents refusal to help a student is not grounds for not supplying the information.  
  • Living on your own and paying  your own bills will not change the dependency status ruling.

We cannot change the rules and regulations set for by the U.S. Department of Education, but we do have to comply with them.


Question: I answered no to all the questions in Step Three but I do have a child. Doesn’t that make me Independent?

Answer: Not necessarily. The qualifying question is do you or will you provide more than 50% support for your child(children) during the specified time period.  For instance, you have little or no income, you and your child are living with someone else and they are providing most of your needs, then they would be the ones providing over 50% support for the child so if you are under 24 and not married, you would have to enter your parent information.


Question: My high school diploma is from a foreign country. Is that acceptable?

Answer: In order to receive financial aid your diploma must be equivalent to a U.S. diploma. It is the student’s responsibility to have the diploma reviewed by a credential evaluator. The evaluators do charge for this service. Keep in mind that this process can take several weeks, so start early.


Question: I currently have a student loan in default status. Can I still get my Pell grant? 

Answer: No, if you are in default you are not able to receive any Title IV aid, as a matter of fact you may not be able to receive other sources of funding such as WIOA. Once the default is resolved you will again be eligible. Default issues need to be resolved before starting the program. If you are already in the program and go into default your aid will be suspended and you will become responsible for tuition and fees. 


Question: I am going to be receiving Veteran’s Education Benefits. Do I still need to complete the FAFSA?

Answer: No, but there are two reasons why you may want to. #1, you might be eligible for a Pell grant (free money) or you may need student loans for additional assistance (VA Benefits to not cover the cost of books), both of which you would need to complete the FAFSA. #2, Sometimes VA checks are mailed directly to the student and a lot of times you don’t start receiving them until after your tuition is already due. If you have financial aid in place you can use that to cover your school fees while waiting for your VA checks. If, after you start receiving checks you decide you don’t want student loans, they can be canceled at any time.


Question: I don’t have very good credit. Will this stop me from getting a student loan?

Answer: No, Stafford student loans are not credit based. Parent Plus loans are credit based loans.  A credit check will be run for Parents apply for these loans. 


Question: My parents don’t want to give their financial information for me to complete the FAFSA. Can I apply without it?

Answer: No, if parental information is required based on the questions you answered in Step 3, they must complete the parent section or you will not be eligible to receive Title IV funding.


Question: My award documentation displays the disbursed date for my student loan, is that the day I will receive my money?

Answer: The award letter from the school gives the date that the checks SHOULD be available to pick up at the school.  The loan documentation you receive in the mail from your servicer will show the date we requested the money from them.  That is not the disbursement date.  Checks must be picked up at the school and signed for by the student only.  Sometimes there are extenuating circumstances that will cause the date to change, we will notify you asap.  Also, attendance and grades may affect disbursement dates.


Question: Do my attendance and/or grades affect my Student Loan disbursements?

Answer: YES! If you fall below the allowed absent time for your program or your grades fall below the necessary grade, you may NOT be eligible to receive our disbursement.  We are a clock hour school and all hours you missed are deducted from the maximum time of the program.  Awards are based on hours attended!


Question: I need to withdraw from the program, why doesn't my Pell and Student Loan cover the amount I owe the school?

Answer: Because we are a clock hour school, every hour you attend is counted toward the amount of EARNED Title IV funding.  If you do not attend all of your program, the Title IV money that was drawn for you may have to be returned by the school.  If this happens, we will invoice you for the amount of money owed for the balance of tuition, fees and charges.  If you fail to pay this, we will send you to collections.  

You may also owe the U.S. Department of Education money back for you Student Loans that you received or were applied to your account that were not returned. Failure to pay these will result in Student Loan default and your inability to get future Title IV funding or assistance from Ohio Means Jobs.